If you are interested in commissioning Al Young Studios to create illustrations, please be aware of the following:
1. We work on a commission basis. Only very rarely might we consider working on the basis of a royalty—very rarely. We do not contribute to ventures who seek writing, artwork, or other services by proferring supposed benefits consequent upon appearing in the finished product.If you are a publishing house, or if you are an individual funding your own project, we would be pleased to review your proposal. Providing the following detail at the outset of your inquiry expedites our review of the application.
2. If you do not yet have a publisher, we can—for a fee—prepare a sample illustration as part of your effort to obtain a publisher; however, it is almost always best to secure a publisher before making any arrangements concerning illustrations.
1. What is the theme of the publication, its audience, its purpose, and the manner in which the subject is or will be treated?When the foregoing information is complete, please email it to us.
2. What is the size of the publication, its structure, and layout?
3. Who are the authors?
4. What are the media in which the publication will be available?
5. What precautions will be taken during publication, as well as in the finished product(s), to safeguard the images and those who hold copyrights to them?
6. What are the digital specifications of the images required for the final product?
7. What do you want the illustrations to do for the publication and its audience?
8. How many illustrations do you envision the Studios creating?
9. How do you want the illustrations rendered, or what aesthetic objectives do you have for them?
10. What is your budget for illustrations?
11. What is your schedule or deadline for the illustrations?
12. What rights to the illustrations do you want to purchase?
13. Please describe your experience with projects of this kind, and what you expect in terms of a collaborative relationship as part of such a creative project?